Selecting The Best Fertilizer For Your Lawn

With regards to acquiring a beautiful, lush green lawn, a number of aspects are active to obtain its magnificence.  Along with having quality sod, you will need to make certain you are fertilizing your lawn when it calls for.  Oftentimes, when you visit your local hardware store, there are two whole aisles of fertilizing products.  Which fertilizer is the better one for lawn types?  Which fertilizer is acceptable for spring, summer or fall?  It is often a daunting job deliberating between grass fertilizers simply because each one has distinct numbers on its bag. For the rookie gardener, it’s not easy to determine what the numbers symbolize and which mix of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium to buy. Yet, equipping yourself with a bit of information could make your selections less difficult. Here are the basics concerning those 3 distinct numbers you’ll find on fertilizer bags and how those numbers have meaning for the requirements of your turf.

Nitrogen
Nitrogen would be the first number that you will see on the package of fertilizer. Nitrogen is needed for both lawn types and flowers.  The nitrogen content is the initial component listed simply because in a sense, it’s the most important element.  Nitrogen is why plants grow.  Nitrogen is the element that’s responsible for the green sod and evoking flourishing growth.  It facilitates the grass develop heartily and supports in protecting against pest problems.

Phosphorus
Phosphorus should be the second number you will find on a fertilizer bag.  Phosphorus will be the element that helps bring about rooting, blooming, and fruit production. This is just what gives the root system its essential nutrients.  Not having phosphorus, grass, trees and also flowering shrubs aren’t in a position to grow strong stems, leaves and root systems. When it comes to home lawn owners and golf course grass maintenance managers, this important element gives the lawn the nourishing substances it needs to create a dense carpet of leaf blades. 

Potassium
Potassium is the third number in the three number string for a bag of fertilizer. It is the cause of the plant’s hardiness and resistance to pests and diseases.  Potassium will help enhance the roots, and helps in the resistance of drought, wear and tear, and severe temperature ranges. The prices of sod range substantially dependant upon the sod’s ability to withstand pests, ecological conditions and diseases. Which means that, the more delicate the sod variety, the more essential it is to use a fertilizer with a greater potassium content level.

Now, let’s complete the math on fertilizers. If the fertilizer you end up picking has got the number sequence 20-10-10 on the outside of the bag, it has 20 percent nitrogen, 10 % phosphorus, and 10 % potassium.  Did you notice that only adds up to 40 %?  Thus, just what does the other 60 percent of the fertilizer product include?  The outstanding 60 percent of the fertilizer consists of nutrients and minerals including iron and filler mixes that let you spread the essential nutritional requirements in an even way.

Regarding the sod in your landscaping, golf courses, or sports fields, you’re going to need to fertilize initially while in the month of March, follow-up with a summer fertilizer in June, and continue on your fertilizer treatment with a winter fertilizer from September to February.  Taking all these simple tasks, you will be guaranteed to have a green and luxurious carpet of lawn that may be an inspiration to all who encounter it.